Rumensin® is a well known ingredient for lactating and dry cows that increases milk solid production and improves feed efficiency under many conditions. Rumensin® is a scientifically proven rumen modifier that improves the health and performance of dairy cows. Rumensin® Trough Treatment has registered claim indications for:
- Increased production of milk solids in pasture fed cows
- As an aid in the reduction of bloat
- As an aid in the control of ketosis.
Each litre contains 60 grams Monensin (as monensin sodium)
Recommended Dose Rate
Rumensin® Trough Treatment provides the optimum response at a recommended daily rate of 5ml of concentrate per mature dairy cow per day. For Example: 1 litre of concentrate will treat 200 mature dairy cattle for one day.
Each 60 L drum contains 12,000 daily doses of the recommended daily dose rate, sufficient to treat 400 mature dairy cows for a month (30 days).
Directions for Use
By law the user must take due care, obtaining expert advice when necessary, to avoid unnecessary pain and distress when using the product other than as directed on the label.
This product must not be used for growth promotion in cattle intended for human consumption. Rumensin® Trough Treatment will not affect water palatability at recommended use rates.
Agitate the contents of this drum before each use.
Rumensin® Trough Treatment can be administered to cows using in-line water dispenser systems or power drenching systems. It is not recommended for use in individual trough dispenser systems.
Mixing Directions for In-Line Water Dispensers
- Consult your Nutritech Area Manager for advice before mixing Rumensin® Trough Treatment with other products.
- Ensure the drum contents are agitated well before each use.
- Add Rumensin® Trough Treatment to the solution last, after all other ingredients have been added and thoroughly mixed.
- Make up a fresh solution daily.
- Use an agitation pump to provide continuous “stirring” of the solution tank.
Mixing Option 1: Measure out the required daily volume of Rumensin® Trough Treatment based on 5ml per cow per day. Measure into a separate bucket approximately 4 times this quantity of water, and add the measured Rumensin® Trough Treatment to the water whilst stirring. Mix thoroughly until the product has fully dispersed. Pour into the dispenser solution tank immediately. Mix thoroughly with a cream stirrer or a similar stirring device. Thorough mixing is essential.
Mixing Option 2: Measure the required daily volume of Rumensin® Trough Treatment based on 5ml per cow per day. Pour slowly into the dispenser solution tank while at the same time thoroughly stirring the solution tank. Mix thoroughly with a cream stirrer or a similar stirring device.
Mixing Directions for Power Drenching Systems
Ensure the drum contents are agitated well before each use.
If drenching in combination with magnesium oxide-based products, add Rumensin® Trough Treatment after the magnesium oxide has fully hydrated. For optimum results, allow 12 hours for the magnesium oxide to hydrate.
Flush gun lines thoroughly before drenching to ensure Rumensin® Trough Treatment is evenly distributed through the lines.
If you have a Numedic metered drench system, add Rumensin® Trough Treatment to the main agitated drench tank.
Drench cows with Rumensin® Trough Treatment once or twice daily to achieve a total daily dose of 5 ml per cow per day.
During severe bloat challenge adopt a twice-daily dosing regime and consider supplementing with a conventional bloat drench in addition to Rumensin® Tough Treatment.
Mixing Option 1: Measure the required daily volume of Rumensin® Trough Treatment based on 5ml per cow per day. Pour slowly into the drench reservoir while the pump is running and mix thoroughly. Thorough mixing is essential.
Mixing Option 2: Measure out the required daily volume of Rumensin® Trough Treatment based on 5ml per cow per day. Measure into a separate bucket approximately 4 times this quantity of water, and add the measured Rumensin® Trough Treatment to the water whilst stirring, mix thoroughly until the product has fully dispersed. Pour into the drench reservoir immediately while the pump is running and mix thoroughly. Thorough mixing is essential.
It is an offence for users of this product to cause residues exceeding the relevant MRL in the Food Notice: Maximum Residue Levels for Agricultural Compounds.
Important Safety Information
Always read, understand, and follow label directions. Thoroughly rinse any spills or residues of Rumensin® Trough Treatment from the drum, mixing buckets, or floors to reduce exposure to dogs. Ensure recommended doses are not exceeded. Do not use concurrently with other Rumensin® products. Do not treat cattle with products containing erythromycin, tiamulin or oleandomycin while using Rumensin® Trough Treatment.
Ingestion of monensin by dogs, horses and other equines may be fatal. Do not allow dogs, horses or other equines access to medicated water containing monensin. Thoroughly rinse any spills or residues of Rumensin® Trough Treatment from the drum, mixing buckets or floors to reduce exposure. Ensure recommended dose rate is not exceeded. Do not use concurrently with other Rumensin® products. Do not treat cattle with products containing erythromycin, tiamulin or oleandomycin while using Rumensin® Trough Treatment.
Bloat is unpredictable. As with any bloat treatment, HERD OBSERVATION IS STILL REQUIRED during bloat challenge periods.
Optimal bloat control is achieved when a 5ml/cow/day dose is ingested. To allow consistent daily intakes when using Rumensin® Trough Treatment through in-line water treatment systems, ensure the solution tank is emptied on a daily basis. Wide variation in daily cattle water intakes may provide inconsistent bloat control to the herd. Individual animal treatment may be required in these situations.
Good Practice for In-Line Water Medication
- Follow the instructions for your particular in-line water dispenser system.
- Some compounds are incompatible with each other. Check with your veterinarian or Nutritech advisor first and if in doubt, keep the number of products used to a minimum.
- Dilute ingredients before adding to the solution tank and always mix the tank thoroughly, ideally using a cream stirrer. THOROUGH MIXING is essential.
- Soluble powder products take time to hydrate or dissolve fully. For optimum results, use two solution tanks side-by-side to allow 24 hours ‘standing time’ so that all products are completely hydrated prior to use. Alternate the use of these solution tanks on a daily basis.
- Ensure the dispenser is calibrated to dispense all of the solution tank into the water supply within a 24-hour period.
- Use an in-line water meter to detect the presence of leaks and to monitor daily drinking behaviour for optimum dispenser calibration.
- Use an agitation system to provide continuous agitation of the solution tank.
- Check and clean the pump filter daily.
- Check and if necessary, adjust the dispenser calibration setting on a daily basis to ensure that the solution tank is as near to completely emptied each day. To achieve this, ensure the dispenser intake filter is placed as close as possible to the bottom of the solution tank.
- Fit a ballcock to the bottom of the solution tank to prevent the dispenser running dry.
- Make up a fresh solution tank every 24 hours.
- Ensure that the solution tank is cleaned out at least monthly to remove any debris or insoluble materials that may have settled.
- Monitor water pipes on a monthly basis for evidence of accumulating bacterial growth. If treatment is necessary, add a chlorine product to the solution tank. Do not add chlorine to solution tanks if zinc sulphate is used.
Reseal packaging after use. Keep in a safe place away from foodstuffs. Store in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight. Avoid contact with eyes, inhalation and ingestion. Wash hands thoroughly after use. Keep out of reach of children.
Rumensin® Trough Treatment is a Registered pursuant to the ACVM Act 1997, No A011062. See foodsafety.govt.nz for registration conditions.